Saturday, July 10, 2010

#6 Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957)

Considered by many the worst movie of all time, Plan 9, starring Bela Lugosi, Vampirya, and Tor Johnson is about aliens who are trying to destroy the Earth by raising the dead, before the Earth develops the technology to destroy the universe. Not that it matters. At all.

I really can't believe that I've never actually seen this movie. Almost as much as I can't believe I actually watched this movie. Surprisingly, while it probably is the worst movie of all time, I don't think it was as hard to sit through as other things I've seen. Sure the special effects aren't as good as 2012 and the story isn't as well developed, and it surely wasn't acted as well....but I think 2012 was harder to sit through. So now I can say I've watched Ed Wood's masterpiece, the worst movie ever made.

Now is the part where I tell you whether you should watch it. Will you be any better for seeing it? No. Will this create great banter at the water cooler Monday morning? Probably not. Will you hate me if you see it? Most definitely. If you watch it, you'll get to say you've watched it. But watch it as a sequel to the Johnny Depp film about the director, Ed Wood. It will make you appreciate that movie so much more and know why Martin Landau won an Oscar for his portrayal of Lugosi.

No comments:

Post a Comment