Monday, July 5, 2010

#2 Harold and Maude (1971)

Harold is a 20 year old rich kid who is obsessed with death, and whose hobbies include pretending to commit suicide for the benefit of his mother and attend funerals. Maude is a 79 year old Holocaust survivor who embraces every second of life to its fullest. After meeting at a funeral and while Harold's mother tries to marry him off, he falls in love with Maude and announces he is going to marry her. Of course Maude has her own plans.

Ok, the sole reason I know about this movie is that Harold drives a 1959 Cadillac Miller Meteor hearse in it. You know...the hearse version of the Ghostbuster-mobile Ecto1. So after strolling through Netflixs the other day it popped up and I decided I needed to watch it. It wasn't bad. I could have done without the Cat Stevens soundtrack but hey...it's 1971. What can you do.

Once you get past the idea that Harold is like 20 and that Maude is 79 the love story and tale of growth is actually pretty good. I don't know that Harold is particularly relatable, but it's well acted all around.

I don't know that I'd watch it again, or have any real reason to tell anyone to watch it, but I did enjoy it. In all fairness there have been very few movies I've out and out disliked. I can normally find something I like about any movie. I do think it will be a while before I listen to anything by Cat Stevens though.

No comments:

Post a Comment