Wednesday, July 21, 2010

#11 Soylent Green (1973)

Alright, so I'm really starting to think that the 70's produced some of the worst movies ever, and I'd pay real money to find out what bet Charleton Heaston lost to have to be in Soylent Green. Sure, the premise is ok. Futuristic society that is over populated and over polluted, and police detective Thorn, while investigating a murder, discovers (ok...fine...spoiler if you've had your head in the sand for the last 37 years) that the main food supply is made of people.....Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!!

George says Heaston must have believed it was a better script than the movie turned out to be, my guess is he thought he'd have some passionate love scenes with Leigh Taylor-Young. Hell, I'd have done the movie for that. Seriously though, it was poorly acted..by Heaston of all people. I mean for crying out loud, he was freaking Moses. We know the man can act..or could. The set designs were horrible, the costumes were even worse, and well, it was just a bad movie. At least now I can say I've seen it, and the only reason I watched it was for that very last line. IT'S PEOPLE!!!

Would I recommend it? I dunno. Sure, there is an important social commentary about taking care of our earth, taking care of each other, how we treat women, and if you're basically going to have a death camp where people go to die, make it nice. People will want to go to that death camp.

I'll say this, if you want a movie to make fun of, or you're a hard core sci-fi junkie, see it. Otherwise, you now know that it's people, and that's really all you need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment