Tuesday, July 6, 2010

#5 The Seven Year Itch (1955)

Tom Ewell stars opposite of Marilyn Monroe in this Billy Wilder directed romp, about Richard Sherman, a married man who sends his family off to the country for the summer, and then becomes friendly with his new neighbor, the very shapely and beautiful Monroe. Sherman vacillates between wanting to pursue Monroe and trying to rid her from his life and the complications her presence brings.

Ok, so the only reason I picked this film is because of the iconic subway grate scene which ultimately lead to the divorce between Monroe and the Yankee Clipper, Joe DiMaggio. Part of the purpose of watching some of these titles are because they have important cultural significance, and there are few things more culturally significant the Marilyn Monroe having her dress blown up by a passing subway. It wasn't until I saw the opening credits did I realize that legendary director Billy Wilder was at the helm of this piece.

Although I am only five movies into this journey, this is by far and away the best of them I have seen. I already have plans to see it again with a friend. It's funny, witty, and the ideas presented in it are just as easy to relate to in 2010 as they were in 1955. I was shocked at how much I laughed at the movie, especially the end when Sherman mentions the blonde in the kitchen. Priceless!!

My recommendation is to watch this on a date night, just remember guys, play it cool and never lead on that these thoughts have ever crossed your mind, especially if you've been together a good seven years or so. Just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment